|About the year 1850 a group of men cleared off a piece of land on a farm owned by Mr. Thomas Wollard, owned by Fleet and Frances Rust in 1970. They built a log schoolhouse called Riffe School after a prominent citizen of the community. Since this was the only school in the community, children came from a distance to attend. After a number of years, the building was destroyed by fire and another was built about three-fourths of a mile west on land owned by Mr. Pugh. About 1917 it was included in the organization of High School District C-2 or Central High School. It continued to be used as a grade school until the children were taken by bus to the Central High School. As many as three generations of some families in the community attended school there. About 1948 or 1949 the building was sold and torn down.
Adapted from Hardin, Missouri: A Centennial History (1870-1970).