|Prairie Valley School was built on land owned by Captain Rankin in the 1800s. It was destroyed in a windstorm in 1903 and was rebuilt the following summer. When Mr. Rankin sold the land in 1919 to Robert and Luther Stanton, an acre of land was set aside for the school. School continued there until 1936 when the children were transported to the Hardin school. The school building was accidentally destroyed by fire in 1946.
Adapted from Hardin, Missouri: A Centennial History (1870-1970).