Ray County Genealogy

A Missouri GenWeb Project

Ray County Home Page

Plum Grove School

Plum Grove School Grape Grove Twp 48 1855 Hardin 833 feet 39.334ºN 93.785ºW John G. Clark deeded an acre; also used as a church; Central School District Info 1925

Plum Grove School was organized in the year 1855. An acre of ground was deeded by John G. Clark to build a schoolhouse. The name "Plum Grove" was decided on because the house was built in a plum grove. Joseph E. Black, Sr., was the first teacher and John G. Clark, Haden Trigg, and John (or Jonathan) Harris served as trustees.

School was usually in session at two different periods per year: a winter term of five months and a summer term of three months. Salary ranged from $16.00 to $30.00 per month.

John G. Clark is the grandfather of Mrs. M. H. (Ruby Shaw) McCorkendale and great grandfather of Zetella Harrison, Roy Falknor, Sr., Mrs. Madge Johnson, Frazier McCorkendale, Fred Clark, and Mrs. Ada (Clark) Fifer. Debates and singing schools were also held at the schoolhouse.

Adapted from Hardin, Missouri: A Centennial History (1870-1970).

Source: http://www.hardincentral.k12.mo.us/about/history/plum-grove-school.html

Ray County Home Page | MoGenWeb | USGenWeb | WorldGenWeb | E-Mail County Coordinator

Search this Website

To add additional information relating to Ray County, Missouri Genealogy, E-Mail the county coordinator.

since April 1, 2002

Last Updated 10/12/2008