Ray County Genealogy
Little Brick School
|Little Brick School||68||Hardin||686 feet||39.265ºN||93.797ºW||In east-central Crooked River Township. Named from the size and material of the building. (Happy)|
|On June 8, 1889, one acre of ground was purchased from Tom E. Cheatham for the purpose of building a school. The first directors were Jim Claytor, Ransom Green, and William Dye.
It was known as Little Brick School District No. 3.
This being a large district, it was known to have 50-60 pupils in the early history. In 1903-1904 it became a graded school, having grades one through eight.
Its list of teachers through the years have been many. A few of the early teachers were G. E. Kelso, Hattie McGrew, Allie Sprinkel, and Allen Broughton. The last teacher was Nadine Huffman.
The school was often the social center for the community and some of the favorite entertainments in its early history were spelling bees and literary societies. Later it became the center for 4-H club community meetings and extension club entertainments.
The school was in session until the consolidation with Hardin School District in 1950.
Adapted from Hardin, Missouri: A Centennial History (1870-1970).