Ray County Cemetery Cemetery
|Name of Cemetery||Ray County Cemetery|
|Alternate Names||Potter's Field Cemetery, Ray County Poor House, Pauper's Cemetery, County Home Cemetery|
|Latitude/Longitude||Latitude: 39°16'16.45"N; Longitude: 93°59'26.86"W|
|Cemetery Still in Use||No|
|Size of Cemetery||about 32 known burials|
|Range of Burial Dates|
|list of names on memorial does not include dates, so there may be older or more recent burials than these||Oldest Known Burial||Gibson, John
b. 1840 d. January 5, 1910
|Last Known Burial||Carrie Vanderpool
b. March 12, 1891, d. March 14, 1960
|Visited yet?||CC - yes................ JZ - yes...........anyone else - yes|
||Most recent directions||
Potter's field is behind the museum, southwest area behind the track
|1973 Ray County History; p. 230||#x, name Twp|
|1973 Ray County History; p. 232-233||In 1909 the County Court, set aside an acre of land on what is known as the County Home site on West Royale Street, for a paupers cemetery. As the years went by it grew up in trees and brush-forgotten. In 1969 Mr. Norman Miller, an employee for the Missouri Public Service became interested in the cemetery. Through the help of some town merchants who donated seed, lime and fertilizer and Mr. Allen Moyer who prepared the ground, Mr. Miller began his project. At his own expense built, painted and set a white picket fence at the entrance. He keeps the cemetery mowed in the summer.
This year 1973, the Aquarius 4H Club had a stand at the Ray County Fair to raise money to put a wire fence around the remaining three sides, under the supervision of Mr. Miller.
There are graves every three feet in the cemetery. Efforts have been made to locate records of persons buried there. A few have been found. There are two whole stones left. Others have been destroyed throughout the years.
Through the respect and efforts of Mr. Miller, the potter's field is being restored. He also takes care of the cemetery on West Lexington Street free gratis. He deserves "An award of Merit".
|Big Black Cemetery Binder||
Located on West Royle Street, Richmond, Missouri, back of what was once "The Old County Home". It is now a recreational center and Ray County Museum. The monument in Potter's Field was put up as an Eagle Scout project, September 13, 1979, by Kevin Pemberlin, Richmond, Missouri, Troop 465.
located on Ray County Fairgrounds
|Other Comments||another Potter's Field is located outside of Lawson near Taylor Cemetery|
|Plat Maps||year||marked?||who's land?|
|T52/R28/S36||Original Land Grants|
|1914||yes/no||city of Richmond|
|1930||yes/no||city of Richmond|
|1959||yes/no||city of Richmond|
|1970||yes/no||city of Richmond|
|yes/no||city of Richmond|
|1990||yes/no||city of Richmond|
|1997||yes/no||city of Richmond|
|2005||yes/no||city of Richmond|
|Ray County Archives|
|Other Online Link|
|Genealogical Library - Ray County Museum|
|Ray County Library - Richmond||
Ray REF 929.3 RAY
|Family History Library (FHL)|
|Ray County Cemetery Project Volunteers|