Ray County Genealogy
Crooked River Township
sometimes misspelled "Lovelock"
|1 mile west of Hardin on Hwy 10; 2 miles north on "A"
you need to go through two cattle gates to get to the cemetery
DAR Index: From Hardin go north on Route A for 2. 4 miles to entrance on the road. Cemetery is located 1/4 mile into a field on the side of a hill.
1973 Ray County History:
In 1845 John W. Morris and wife deeded three acres for this cemetery. There were several conditions to this deed - the ground must be used for a place of worship, a public burying ground and a school be erected if advisable in the future. At that time it was a forest.
The wife of Rev. S. L. Edgar was the first to be buried there. In 1870 George Morris and wife made a second deed for ground; later Alexander Lavelock and wife donated a strip of land around the burying ground, making a total of four acres. Through the efforts of interested people a chapel was built and dedicated in 1925. The stained glass windows contain the names of Dr. W. F. Yates, Dr. J. H. Stapp, N. and M. Lentz, Rev. M. M. Spurlock, N. and M. Esrey and J. F. Bates.
|compiled and typed by Alfred and Sandy McKemy
Last permanent address of the residents of Lavelock Cemetery
compiled by Elizabeth Prather Ellsberry, Juliette L. Smith and Mrs. Carlton Richardson
v. 6. Craven, Hickory Grove, Lavelock, Pleasant View cemeteries
FHL 977.819 V3e v. 5-6
Ray 929.3 Ell vol. VI (p. 17)
Ray REF 929.3 RAY
photo submitted by Jennifer Zunker